The Sullivan family was having a great summer experience until a nasty accident turned their garden into a nightmare.
The victim of the horrific incident was their 3-year-old son, Roan. His parents said that their child had stepped on a bomb, which proved to be a regular household item.
In the US, however, this common household tool sends about three children to the emergency room every single day.
It was a great summer day when Sean Sullivan started to mow his lawn. He used one that was robust, hefty, and reliable. Their 3-year-old son, Roan, usually sat on his father’s knee while cutting the grass.
Mowers are often associated with most father-son memories, but what they didn’t know was that particular day, July 4, would turn their lovely day into a horrifying incident.
Mom Melissa took the kids inside while Sean continued to cut the grass. Roan’s sister took a nap while he got something to drink as he was thirsty.
After drinking, Roan immediately ran outside, and things escalated pretty quickly. Before Melissa and Sean knew what was happening, their 3-year-old son already ran to the lawnmower’s path.
“It was actually the only possible moment that he had a chance to sneak out without us seeing him,” Sean recalled.
He glanced left and right to look for their son when Roan finally appeared before him. The mower wasn’t moving at the highest setting, but everything happened in a blink of an eye.
The shocked parents couldn’t remember exactly how they removed the poor child from the lawnmower. However, they’ll never forget the sight of Roan. According to them, the young boy looked like he had stepped on a bomb.
They rushed their son to the ER, and then he was transferred to the Children’s Hospital in Richmond.
Roan struggled through several operations, including the amputation of his right foot.
Today, Roan is on the mend and he continues to face every day with positivity and strength. Dad Sean believes there will never be a time when he doesn’t feel guilty and wretched about what happened to his child.
The family now wants to raise awareness of the possible dangers associated with lawnmowers.
Please SHARE this story so that more parents will be aware of the risks associated with the common household tool!