A 40-year-old mother has issued a grave warning after a fire destroyed her family home because of a phone charger that was left plugged in overnight.
Donna Symes had been making dinner with her husband when their fire alarm suddenly went off. She quickly ran upstairs and found that the blaze had started in her son’s bedroom.
The fire was caused by a phone charger that had been left plugged in next to the 13-year-old boy’s bed.
Sharing her heartbreak in a video as she walked through her uninsured home, she said: “I have a son with additional needs, Kane, and a daughter, Kiera, and a two-year-old daughter called Ayesha.
“The older two have lost so much from the fire – more-so Kane, as the fire started in his room.
“The older two’s dad passed away 10 years ago and literally any wee keepsakes he had of him are gone. But we’re a strong family.”
She also advised others to check appliances and plugs even during the day and to make sure that home smoke alarms work as it saved their lives.
Ms. Symes also took to Facebook and warned others about the dangers of leaving phone chargers plugged in.
“So I’m writing this from my hotel room – a fire broke out in Kanes room just after 8pm tonight,” she wrote.
“Started from a phone charger behind the bed. Three of us were downstairs sorting dinner and the smoke alarms went off.
“Our home is literally devastated. My boys room obliterated as you can see. Literally heartbroken.”
The mother-of-two said that she didn’t want any sympathy but she wanted others to unplug their chargers, check their smoke alarms, and make sure that appliances are not overheating.
“Take my advice please,” she added.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!