Pirates of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp is accusing his ex-wife of pocketing the $7million divorce settlement.
Amber Heard, 34, vowed to split the payment between two charities after she declared that she did not want her ex-husband’s money.
However, Depp’s lawyers believe Heard was lying about giving the money to charities.
Documents seen by Daily Mail suggest the American Civil Liberties Union received $100,000 of the promised $3.5 million donation.
Bosses at the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles also became concerned they decided to write to the actress in June 2019 to ask “if the pledge will not be fulfilled.”
Depp’s attorneys believe Heard was lying when she announced that she did not want his money.
In August 2016, Heard said: “As described in the restraining order and divorce settlement, money played no role for me personally and never has, except to the extent that I could donate it to charity and, in doing so, hopefully help those less able to defend themselves.
“As reported in the media, the amount received in the divorce was $7 million and $7 million is being donated. This is over and above any funds that I have given away in the past and will continue to give away in the future.
“The donation will be divided equally between the ACLU, with a particular focus to stop violence against women, and the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles where I have worked as a volunteer for past 10 years.”
Depp lost a defamation case against The Sun newspaper when the court ruled that the paper’s depiction of him as a ‘wife beater’ was ‘substantially true.’
Heard said in a witness statement on February 26, 2020: “I remained financially independent from him [Depp] the whole time we were together and the entire amount of my divorce settlement was donated to charity.”
Judge Answer Nichol also said: “Her donation of the $7 million to charity is hardly the act one would expect of a gold-digger.”
Heard’s lawyer, Elain Charlson Bredehoft, did not specify how much the actress had already given to either charity but said that her client intended to fulfill the $7m pledge “eventually.”
She also blamed the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory star for the delay, saying the actress has been forced to spend millions to defend herself against “false accusations” made against her.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!