Babies are unpredictable, which is why it’s difficult to protect them from every danger that they face. Even if parents watch them at all times, there are certain unexpected events that occur from time to time.
In fact, it’s not so rare to hear about accidents such as swallowing a toy, because it’s in their nature to explore new things by touching them or even putting them in their mouth.
Karla Rauch is a mother of two kids, Ethan and Emmett, who had a terrifying experience because of this. Four years ago, Karla and her husband Michael almost lost Emmet because of a tiny lithium button battery.
One day, as Emmett was playing by himself, he swallowed this nickel-sized battery.
Unfortunately, his parents did not catch him swallowing it at the time. Few moments later, parents noticed that something was terribly wrong with Emmett when he became lethargic and feverish.
Emmett’s parents immediately took him to the hospital, but the staff told them that he probably just has a simple cold.
Even after they went back home, however, Emmett’s symptoms got worse. He started to cough up blood, and was taken quickly back to the hospital. At first, the doctor who examined Emmett thought it was because of the croup.
However, something just didn’t seem right.
So, he decided to follow his distinct and ordered an X-ray. And when he saw the results, he realized that he was right.
There was the button battery Emmett had swallowed – and because it was there for few days, the acid from the battery had severely damaged his esophagus and digestive tract.
Thankfully, neither Emmett nor this team of doctors gave up. Amazingly, Emmett managed to fight his way through 65 surgeries and 18-month hospital stays over the course of four years.
Now, as you can see from the photo above, Emmett is an outgoing little boy who can breathe on his own and even play soccer. He can also speak via artificial vocal cords!
Even though Emmett miraculously recovered, his parents want to spread the awareness about button batteries, and how dangerous it can be.