A kind couple has gone viral after people learned of their efforts to preserve koala populations by welcoming over two dozen injured animals into their home amid raging bushfires that have taken over Australia.
Paul and Christeen McLeod turned their house into a makeshift pet clinic and opened the doors to koalas that got burned during wildfires.
The couple, who runs a business called Koalas In Care, is located in Taree, New South Wales, and they are currently taking care of over 20 koalas.
From disinfecting the animals’ wounds to moisturizing their burnt skin, the husband and wife agreed they had to do something to make a change in koalas’ lives because they’re typically forgotten about when it comes to forest fires.
“Somebody has to look after them because nobody else is doing too much, as far as the government, in protecting them,” Christeen said in an interview with ABC News.
“We have a number of koalas in care. And it’s a scary scenario, but that may well be the only insurance policy koalas have for the area here.”
According to Koala Conservation Australia, the charity estimates that over 300 koalas have died in pain during recent bushfires.
“We think most of the animals were incinerated. It’s like a cremation. They have been burnt to ashes in the trees,” Sue Ashton, KCA’s president, revealed in an interview with Sydney Morning Herald.
What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends and follow us on Facebook for more news and stories!