More than 50 children from 17 schools were rushed to hospitals after mass poisoning by mice or rats.
Health officials in Russia said the children, aged 7 to 14, ate vegetables suspected of being contaminated by rodent urine or droppings.
The young students are suffering from diarrhea, redness, rashes, high fever, vomiting, and rashes.
Nikkita, a 9-year-old student, said: “My stomach ached badly, and I could not eat and walk.”
A total of 91 children were infected with yersiniosis, and many in a ‘moderately grave’ condition, reports in Krasnoyarsk said.
Children had become infected after consuming salad in school canteens, according to health watchdog Rospotrebnadzor.
Infections diseases doctor Ilya Akinfiev feared the food in schools had been on surfaces infected with urine or excrement from rodents.
“This happens, for example, if their urine gets on cutting boards or the surfaces of tables where food is being prepared,” Dr.Akinfiev said.
Young students are still suffering from infections 14 days after the contamination.
Parent Kristina Shultseva said: “Schools failed to wash the vegetables properly, so the infection spread.”
Another mom Yulia Verevkina said: “It is from the suppliers. Rodents, mice, ran over the fruits and vegetables and this is the cause of it.”
It is understood that the schools hit by infections have the same food supplier.
Rospotrebnadzor spokesperson Natalya Krasnopeeva said: “A temporary ban was imposed on the food supplier.”
A formal investigation has been launched into the poisoning.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!