Child abduction is every parent’s worst nightmare.
But do you know enough to prevent this horrible crime from happening?
According to the FBI, there were 465,676 National Crime Information Center entires for missing children. And the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) helped law enforcement with more than 20,500 cases of missing children.
Although these cases weren’t solely abduction cases, it’s obvious that children are often targeted by criminals.
In the video created by Pretty Loaded, you see what happens how children who walk by themselves can easily fall into these criminals’ hands.
As you can see, Pretty Loaded set up a camera and had a woman pull up beside a little girl who was walking by herself to home.
She then opens the window, and says this one simple sentence, which makes the little girl hurriedly get into the van.
“Your dad is in the hospital!”
Even though the girl has never seen the woman before, this urgent message makes her voluntarily get in the car with the stranger.
So, how can parents successfully prevent their children from being kidnapped?
These are nine essential tips that will help children to understand when it is appropriate to talk to strangers and when it is not.
1. Do not get in a car with a stranger.
2. Try to stay away from any car or stranger who asks you a question.
3. Always remember that a dangerous person can either be male or female. So do not judge a person by appearance, as kidnappers may go out of their way to look friendly and safe to children.
4. If a stranger physically touches you and offers you snacks to make you follow him or her, do everything you can to draw attention and immediately leave.
5. Firmly say no, when needed.
6. Avoid walking to and from school alone.
7. Always pay attention to your surroundings.
8. Make sure to keep your house keys inside the bag.
9. If something doesn’t feel right, trust your gut feeling and leave the area.
Watch the video below, and please tell your kids about these tips in order to stay safe at all times.