Britain’s only poisonous species of snake was spotted slithering along a beach by a woman who was out for a walk with her friend.
The adder was just meters away from children and dogs.
Watch Britain’s only poisonous species of snake slithering along a beach
68-year-old Lesley Allen, a retired receptionist, spotted the snake, captured it on her camera, and later shared the video online.
Lesley said she spotted the snake on the beach at Mawgan Porth, near Newquay, Cornwall.
She said she saw a couple of people looking at the ground so they also went to look, thinking it might be a jellyfish. But, they found out it was an adder.
It is believed the adder would have fallen from a nearby cliff.
Lesley told SWNS: “Lifeguards said it may have fallen off the cliff. It was just slithering along. People with dogs and children need to be aware of.”
“We saw a couple of people looking at the ground, the man ran to the lifeguards so my friend and I being nosey went to look, thinking it might be a jellyfish or such like, but it was an adder slithering across the sand.”
“The lifeguard came and put it in a box and took it up on to the cliff path and released it.”
The adders are very dangerous to the children, ill, old and animals. If anyone is bitten by the adder, they must seek medical attention immediately.
The RSPCA said: “Adder bites can be extremely dangerous to pets, particularly if the animal is bitten on the face. The bites can cause swelling, bleeding or fever.”
“Dogs are naturally very curious but if you see your dog near an adder habitat we advise that you distract it away from the snake to avoid any injuries.”
Lesley shared the footage of the adder slithering along the beach on social media to raise awareness and urged everyone to stay safe.
Recommended Video For You!
“Snake Catchers: Protecting The World’s Deadliest Snakes”