16-year-old Davis Cripe was a student at Spring Hill High School in South Carolina.
The active teen was involved in Fusion Youth Group at a local church and worked at The Plex Indoor Sports.
Like many other students, he had strong relationships with his family and friends. He made people laugh and had a great passion for music.
When it comes to beverages, his choice of drinks wasn’t unlike other children his age. Unfortunately, the totally legal substance each of this bottle had in common had consequences.
It was on April 26 at 12:30 pm when David drank a Diet Mountain Dew after having a McDonald’s latte. After some time, he drank an energy drink. The teen suddenly collapsed in class at 2:28 pm.
Emergency services were called and he was rushed to Palmetto Health Baptist Parkridge Hospital. Sadly, he was pronounced dead at 3:40 pm.
How could someone as happy and healthy as David suddenly die after drinking a latte, soda, and an energy drink in only two hours?
Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said that a “caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia” was the cause of death. There are also no medical conditions aggravated by caffeine.
“Davis, like so many other kids and so many other people out there today, was doing something (he) thought was totally harmless, and that was ingesting lots of caffeine. We lost Davis from a totally legal substance,” said Watts, according to The Slate.
Sean Cripe, the teen’s dad, has now pleaded with other parents to talk to their children about the dangers of excessive caffeine. Even though David’s tragic experience with caffeine is rare, it is vital to warn others as it may save lives.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your family and friends!