A mother said that her two-year-old son nearly died from eating popcorn after a kernel that got trapped in his lungs, caused a bacterial infection that developed into pneumonia.
Two-year-old Nash Goddard, from Denver, Colorado, needed emergency surgery after contracting pneumonia from the dislodged pieces of corn.
The young boy was watching a movie with his mom Nicole and dad Jake, both 39, when he briefly choked on the sugary snack. He was recovered immediately, but the next day he developed a strange-sounding ‘cough and came down with a fever.’
The mother called the Doctor and was told to take Nash straight to the hospital for tests.
Medics found he had developed pneumonia as his body saw the popcorn pieces as a “foreign object” and created pus-filled pockets around them.
He spent three days in the hospital before he was discharged and has since made a full recovery.
The boy’s mother, Nicole said: “The surgeons had found Nash had aspirated popcorn into his lungs when he choked.”
“The body recognized it as a foreign object and put puss pockets around it and all the inflammation caused him to develop pneumonia in his left lung.”
“Nash didn’t cough anything up when he had his choking fit, so we presumed he just swallowed it.”
“At 6 pm they put Nash under and performed the procedure. I paced and cried the entire time my little man was in there. “
“We had no idea popcorn would have caused such an ordeal, it was a nightmare.”
Nash’s dad had been away with work and arrived at the hospital just in time to see him.
Nicole said: “The surgeons successfully removed six pieces of popcorn from Nash’s lungs, but were concerned they hadn’t managed to remove all of it due to the inflammation.”
“Two days later, Nash went in for a second surgery where they were able to remove the last piece of popcorn.”
“He was a little ‘rock star’ post-surgery and was sent home the same evening as the surgery as he recovered so well.”
Following the ordeal, Nicole was warned about the risks of children under five having popcorn, despite Nash having it before.
She added: “We’ve happily given popcorn to Nash’s sisters, Ashlee, nine, and Reagan, seven, and not had any problems – I had no idea you weren’t supposed to give it to children under five.”
“Jake and I are so happy our little man turned out OK – if I hadn’t of trusted my instinct and brought him into the hospital, the outcome wouldn’t have been good.”
“Recommended Video –“Florida Boy Plays With Toy Alligator—Unaware There Is A REAL One Just Feet Away!”