A little boy from Kansas tragically died during a dental procedure.
3-year-old Abiel Valenzuela Zapata was taken to Tiny Teeth Pediatrics Dentistry to have some of his teeth removed because of an infection.
The dentist gave him anesthesia for the surgery but about 30 minutes into his sedation, the boy’s pulse started to slow down.
Police officers rushed to the scene and the boy was taken to the Wichita hospital.
Abiel’s heartbroken mother, 25-year-old Nancy Valenzuela, claims she was not informed about the medical emergency about her son until he was being transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. She did not see her child again until after he had died.
The grieving family is now waiting for the coroner’s report.
Valenzuela told Mail Online that medical reports and medical staff do not claim that her son had an allergic reaction.
Speaking to NBC 4, the mother-of-three said: “We didn’t expect to come out of there without a child.”
Valenzuela said that Abel was completely fine before the procedure.
“As a mother, you feel like you failed him because you didn’t do anything to protect him,” she expressed. “I really thought that I made the right choice.”
The Valenzuela Zapata family wants answers.
Remembering her son as full of energy, Valenzuela told Mail Online: “He was the wild one of my other two children. The one to always stand out the most anywhere he was.”
A family friend who describes Valenzuela and her husband 28-year-old Angel Zapata as “the type of people who often go out of their way to help those in need” has set up a GoFundMe page for the family.
In a statement to KSN, police officer Trevor Macy said that there is no criminal investigation underway ‘at this time.’
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!