A criminal investigation has been launched after a 7-month-old baby boy passed away as he was exposed to -20C temperatures for five long hours.
The child froze to death after being placed in a buggy on a balcony in eastern Russia as his parents wanted him to ‘sleep in the fresh air.’
According to reports, the 40-year-old mother put her baby out on the balcony for some fresh air. However, she forgot about her child and took five hours for her to remember that the child was outside.
By the time she brought her baby inside, he was no longer responding. Sadly, he could no longer be revived.
The baby’s cause of death was hyperthermia, which occurs when a body’s core temperature is lowered due to exposure to cold.
Officers have inspected the scene and will be investigating further as to what exactly happened. The region’s health ministry also advised that people shouldn’t leave young children unattended.
“Always know where and with whom [your child] is,” the ministry said via Instagram. “Do not pass by if another child is in danger – in winter a child who is lost or injured on the street can very quickly become a victim of low temperatures.”
It also noted that children in the region were frequently becoming victims of parental negligence of ‘basic safety measures’ and ‘ignorance.’
The ministry also added that there seemed to be an increase over the holidays in kids being injured, commonly from burns, fireworks and falls.
Parents were also advised to consume less alcohol so they can properly watch over their kids.
One internet user commented: “OMG what’s wrong with people? Soul crushing.”
Another wrote: “God bless you baby.”
A third added: “That poor little boy..”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this post with your family and friends!