Check out the interview with the family whose son ate a burger with a wire in it.
Video credit: CBC News
We all love junk food, and now we are addicted to it. The burger is everyone’s favorite, kids, adults everyone likes to have it at least once in a week. But, enjoying your favorite food can be so dangerous sometimes.
It was an ordinary afternoon in Fiore’s family home. It was a warm spring day, so they decided to start their grill and have hamburgers for dinner.
But the day would soon turn into a nightmare.
The worst part is that it was their young son Anthony who was most affected, by an incident that is more common than you may think.
Anthony was just about to take a bite from his burger when he suddenly felt a tickle in his throat. Seconds later, he was in excruciating pain, he told his parents he felt like a sharp knife was stuck in his stomach.
His parents rushed him to the emergency room. The pain was getting worse and worse.
The hospital immediately took Anthony in for a CT scan. They then detected a small narrow metal wire caught in the boy’s throat. The doctors suspected that it was a piece of the kind of metal brushes typically used to clean grills.
Anthony was taken straight to surgery and had the sharp metal wire removed, and sure enough, it turned out it was a bristle from the BBQ grill brush.
The operation went well, but Anthony was not fully recovered yet. The dirty piece of wire had dragged bacteria into the wound in the stomach, and a few days later he got an infection. After taking antibiotics, Anthony was at last well enough to return home.
The first thing Anthony’s parents did was to toss their grill brush into the trash.
According to the doctors, this wasn’t a first. It’s common for the sharp bristles to fall off while one cleans the grill, and in worse case scenarios, they can get stuck on the grill and then be transferred to the food.
Aziz Benbrahim, the surgeon at MidState Medical Center, Connecticut, USA, says he sees this type of accident often, some cases more serious than others.
“Nobody knows the statistics, that’s the problem. The only paper published talks about 6 or 7 cases and I believe it’s much, much more common,” he tells CBS News.
“It makes a hole in the intestine and that could be life-threatening,” said Dr. Aziz Benbrahim. “We had a patient who had it in there for 2 weeks and he had severe complications and bigger surgery.”
How to clean the grill without a wire brush, then? Here is the solution to it. Close the lid and heat the grill thoroughly in order to melt any remaining food particles. Then take a piece of aluminum foil shaped into a ball and scrub the grill. This will remove the soot as effectively as a brush, without risking leaving sharp steel pieces behind.
“Recommended Video –“Florida Boy Plays With Toy Alligator—Unaware There Is A REAL One Just Feet Away!”