8-year-old Liam fell off his bike when he was at the family farm with his mother Sara Hebard.
Sara rushed him to the hospital where he received seven stitches as he had a deep cut in his thigh.
“It wasn’t a big deal. It wasn’t a bad one. It just needed a few stitches is all, that’s i. And he was taking it like a trooper”, Sara said.
Liam, who was a second grader, started experiencing pain a few days later.
Sara and Liam’s stepfather, Scott Hinkle, took him to the hospital.
He was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis – a flesh-eating bacteria.
To remove the infected tissue, doctors performed surgery at St. Anthony Hospital in Pendleton.
He was then airlifted to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland for further treatment as the bacteria spread.
He underwent surgeries to amputate the infected tissues. His mother, Sara said: “Almost his whole right side was gone. They kept cutting and hoping. Cutting and hoping.”
Doctors assured them he would recover soon.
Liam was then transferred to Randall Children’s Hospital as nothing was working for him.
Unfortunately, Liam passed away at Randall Children’s Hospital the day he was transferred to the hospital.
He passed away 8 days after falling off his bike. No one could believe something like this could happen.
“I would have to say for one, hug your children tight because you never know how quickly it goes, and then to pay attention to them and don’t just take for granted it could just be a simple accident,” said Sara.
“He was a bright ray of sunshine. He loved everyone and everyone loved him”, she added.
Hinkle said: “He was a lovable kid. He never had a bad word to say.”
Our hearts are saddened by the loss of the family and our thoughts and prayers are with them. He will be missed.