Parents James Atkins, 35, and Philippa Atkins, 34, were left devastated after their three-day-old baby girl died while she was being breastfed in bed.
Luna Atkins, who was born two weeks premature via emergency c-section, had only been at home for a few hours when she passed away in the heartbreaking bedroom incident.
According to reports, the parents had a ‘celebratory glass of prosecco before retiring to bed.’
Mrs. Atkins started breastfeeding her baby at around 3:30 pm but because both parents were exhausted, they fell asleep.
The mother woke up four hours later to find Luna unresponsive. Paramedics arrived but she was pronounced dead.
“Luna was breastfed at around 9.30pm. Both parents fell asleep while she was feeding,” police said in a statement.
“Mum woke at around 1.30am on May 12 to find Luna unresponsive. CPR was commenced by family and paramedics who attended.”
Sadly, Luna was pronounced dead at around 2:30 am.
The grieving mother is now fundraising to help other children. She also described her daughter as ‘our perfect little girl’ and ‘our beautiful baby.’
“’Luna has taught me life is too short and too precious! We owe it to her to fill the world with more music and more joy,” Mrs. Atkins said.
“So if you ever think you can’t, look up at the moon, and my baby will show you that the world is good and you are loved!”
She continued: “I got to carry Luna for 9 months, and hold her for nearly 3 days. I knew my daughter and she was good! She has given me the strength to believe in myself and strive to make the world a better place.
“Whatever you have been through, I am always here for you as you are there for me. As things start to go back to ‘normal’ let’s strive to make it better.
“Let’s laugh more and sing more. Let’s never forget the tragedies of the last few months, and let’s remember those we have lost in the best possible way.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!