A two-year-old girl has tragically passed away after she put the tip of a phone charger in her mouth while it was still plugged in.
The unfortunate incident happened in Jahangirabad, Uttar Pradesh, India.
The parents of the toddler – Razia and Shahid – live in Mustafabad in the Indian capital, Delhi, and had come to visit Razia’s family when the tragedy unfolded.
Someone from Razia’s family had left their mobile charger plugged into a live switch, the Times of India reported.
The toddler got sight of the dangling charger’s cable while she was playing in the house. It was when she approached the charger and put its end in her mouth.
Razia’s family rushed the unconscious child to a nearby hospital but she had died the moment she was electrocuted.
The incident has not been reported to the police.
“The family has not approached us with any police complaint, so a case has not been filed,” Akhilesh Pradhan, from Jahangirabad police station, said.
“However, if somebody approaches us for a complaint, it will be done according to the norms.”
After the tragic news was made public, the internet users across the globe shared the heartbreaking story on social media so as to warn others against leaving their mobile chargers plugged into live switches.
Facebook user Patrick Mullens wrote: “A WARNING TO EVERYONE WHO HAS A MOBILE.
“A 2-year-old toddler was electrocuted after she put the lead of a phone charger in her mouth while it was still plugged into the wall.”
Twitter user Vishal Gupta wrote: “Pls keep away mobile charge from Children .. Sad news from Meerut UP.”
One person tweeted: “Pls think before leaving chargers plugged in!! Toddler electrocuted after putting mobile phone charger in her mouth.”
Another wrote: “Yikes! Please unplug your chargers from the wall when not being used if you have toddlers or puppies running around!
“It never occurred to me until yesterday when I read of a 2 year old who stuck the end of a charger in her/ his mouth and was electrocuted.”
“Woman Snatches Baby Out From Mother And Saves Baby’s Life”