Over the past couple of years, there had been many social media challenges which were taken by people across the globe.
However, not all of them were as harmless as the “Ice Bucket challenge” or the latest “In My Feelings challenge”.
And although these challenges may also prove harmful at times, none of them or any other challenge during the entire social media history was as deadly and evil as the “Hot Water challenge”.
The challenge involved a group of friends who surprise one of their mates by pouring boiling hot water on them. It is needless to say how harmful and life-threatening this ridiculous challenge can be with its participants being as young as 7-year olds.
Watch Nicholas’s story in the video below.
Another version of the challenge involved participants who willingly take boiling water on their skin, or drink it.
The new trend, gone viral on the internet, was fuelled by gatherings like sleepovers and slumber parties where young children were able to execute the challenge without any interference from the adults.
As a result, several people who either got involved in the challenge by themselves or were surprised by their friends received severe burns.
An 8-year-old girl died in Florida after drinking boiling hot water in August 2017.
An 11-year-old boy received life-threatening burns after his friends poured a pitcher of boiling water over him while he was sleeping. The boy was rushed to the hospital where doctors were able to save him.
There are countless similar incidents. One of them, however, decided to speak out against the devilish challenge after he suffered hideous burns during his sleepover.
Nicholas Conrad from Sherwood High School was at a sleepover with 6 of his friends when they poured boiling water on him while he was asleep.
“I felt this really bad burning on my neck and when I woke up and I started screaming and crying,” Nicholas said in a YouTube video.
“It was the worst pain of my life,” he said. Nicholas was fortunate to not get any life-threatening burns.
After the incident, Nicholas ended his friendship with those friends. “I just want them to leave me alone. They’re not my friends anymore and they’re not going to be,” he said.
His mother Mickey Conrad said she was shocked when she learned about the incident. “I thought he had been in an accident and that it had been an accident but when I found out it was deliberate, it’s so concerning,” she said.
She is now urging other parents to educate their children and warn them of the dangers associated with the internet challenges.
“Don’t ever say, ‘My child won’t do that,’ and educate them,” she said.
Recommended Video – “The Hilarious Police Lip Sync Challenge Reaches Virginia Beach Police Department”