A 56-year-old mother who lost her 19-year-old girl to a tampon shared how her teenage daughter died in her arms as she ‘begged her not to die.
Dawn Massabni from New Jersey said she is still haunted by the moment her 19-year-old daughter, Maddy, passed away on March 30.
Maddy just celebrated her birthday and was out for dinner with her family when she started to feel sick and developed fever, diarrhea and vomiting.
Her health quickly deteriorated over the next few days until her mother called emergency services when she lost consciousness. “Then within minutes, she had deteriorated rapidly,” Dawn said.
The 19-year-old was taken to intensive care but her condition had already caused her organs to shut down.
“She was dying. TSS ravages a body within days and that is what happened to Maddy.
“I had my arms around her saying, “Don’t leave me, I love you.” She died there, in my arms, in her bed. It was awful.”
Dawn had to face the heartbreaking decision to turn her life support off. It was the most difficult thing she’s ever done.
“She was my little girl and my best friend. Along with her brother we were a team. I didn’t want her to go. But she had total organ failure,” Dawn said.
Investigation revealed that Maddy had been wearing a tampon and had gone into toxic shock caused by either streptococcus or staphylococcus bacteria.
The heartbroken mother now wants to raise awareness of the dangers of TSS. She and Georgie are campaigning to raise the profile of TSS and have formed a foundation ‘Don’t Shock Me’ to honor Maddy.
A statement on the foundation’s website reads: “Maddy had aspirations to finish college, go into the fashion industry and travel the world. She had done some modeling and was on the cover of a magazine.
“She had so many friends that loved her and shared so many wonderful times together. Family was most important to her and they shared a very unique and special bond.
“Her mother and brother were her best friends. She believed that as a team they could do anything together, conquering all things in life. Her life now lives on through everyone who knew her and will never be forgotten.”
Toxic shock syndrome or TSS is a highly dangerous bacterial infection that occurs when usually harmless streptococcus or staphylococcus aureus bacteria invade the bloodstream and release dangerous toxins.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this post with your family and friends!